Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Journey To The Other Side Of The World


Wow. There is no better word to describe the beginning of my trip. The morning of my flight I was woken up at 5:45 am by a call from dad…my international flight to Toronto was leaving at 7 am. After franticly waking Hunter up we were off and literally running. Hunter’s impression of “The Fast and The Furious” landed me at the airport at 6:15 am. As I was waiting in line two fellow late risers (John (my roommate) and Charles) rolled in behind me. A direct quote from the man behind the counter “You will never make that flight.” Great start to the trip. Fortunately luck was on my side because an angel of a woman behind the counter quickly checked our luggage, gave us our boarding passes, led us to the front of a line that consisted of >250 travelers who were pissed that 3 college students got to skip to the front, and helped us through security. Then all we had to do was sprint through the terminal and get on the plane…easy. Leg two…complete. We arrived in Toronto and discovered our flight was delayed, which made our total layover more than 5 hours. Toronto had a tiny airport, but they compensated for their lack of entertainment by having a bar that opened early. That made it much more enjoyable. I have not decided if Air Canada sucks or not. The plane was pretty awesome. They fed us three meals on the flight to Beijing and all beverages were complimentary. They also had individual monitors that allowed us to choose the movies we watched on the flight. I spent my 13 and a half-hours watching No Strings Attached, Dinner For Schmucks, The Town, and something else I cannot remember…oh also I managed to sleep for maybe 3 hours. As we arrived in China I was able to see the Great Wall out of the plane, that was pretty crazy, and a great welcome to China. 

No comments:

Post a Comment